Your Story, Your Song
Rocky Mountain Chamber Choir
Call for Compositions 2024
Every composer has a story to share that only they can tell. Composers are encouraged to delve into the essence of their personal narratives, infusing their roots, individual journeys, and unique perspectives into their choral composition. We seek compositions that resonate with authenticity, where each note tells a story that only the composer could articulate, creating a harmonious reflection of their distinctive identity.
The winner of the Rocky Mountain Chamber Choir - Call for Compositions 2024 will receive a completely free demo recording of their song and a feature on our YouTube Channel and website. See below for details.
Deadline: 16 June 2024, Midnight MST
RMCC Call for Compositions 2024
The Rocky Mountain Chamber Choir call for scores 2024 aims to highlight one new piece of choral music. Composers of any age or nationality are welcome to submit compositions regardless of if they have received a prior performance of the piece or not. Both published and unpublished works are accepted. The conductors and singers of RMCC will select a composition to receive a free recording and a feature on our YouTube channel.
Every composer has a story to tell.
Composers are urged to infuse their personal narratives, roots, journeys, and perspectives into choral compositions, creating an authentic reflection of their unique identity. Your song should tell a story that only you can articulate.
Please remove all identifying indicators such as composer's name from the submitted score.
There is no fee to enter the RMCC Call for Compositions 2024.
No restrictions on vocal ranges or number of parts. A cappella or accompanied composition are accepted. All voicings welcome: unison, treble voices, SATB divisi, et cetera.
Any text not in the Public Domain or by the composer should be accompanied by documentation confirming the composer has secured permission to use it both in the composition and for public performance.
Any composer is welcome to submit regardless of age, nationality, experience, etc. Only one piece per composer may be submitted. Songs may be published or unpublished, previously premiered or never-before-performed.
All styles are welcome. Composition should reflect the theme of "Choral Memoirs: Your Story, Your Song."
Accompaniment and Additional Instrumentation
Any accompaniment, such piano or other auxiliary instruments are welcome. It should be understood that all accompaniment instruments will be digital versions.
Compositions must be submitted as a PDF or JPEG via the given form. Entries must be typeset in music engraving software. MP3s are also welcome, but not required.
Compositions should not exceed 8 minutes in length.
Judging will consist of a panel of RMCC singers and conductors who have extensive choral singing and conducting experience.
Please note that RMCC may not consider works in which the text contains profanity, racial slurs, or other language deemed offensive by individuals or groups.
The Fine Print
BY PARTICIPATING IN THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN CHAMBER CHOIR Call for Scores 2024 (the “Contest”) AND ENTERING THE CONTEST BY UPLOADING YOUR MUSICAL SUBMISSION (the “COMPOSITION”) TO THE COMPETITION WEBSITE, YOU AGREE THAT YOUR ENTRY SHALL BE GOVERNED BY THESE CONTEST RULES. THIS IS A LEGALLY BINDING CONTRACT BETWEEN YOU AND THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN CHAMBER CHOIR (“SPONSOR”). NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. OPEN TO ALL AGES AND NATIONALITIES. VOID ELSEWHERE AND WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. SEE BELOW FOR ELIGIBILITY RESTRICTIONS.
Open any participants of any age or nationality. Void where prohibited by law. The person uploading the composition will be deemed the entrant (“Entrant”). The entrant is the one person who is the authorized account holder of the e-mail address associated with that submission. One submission of a newly composed composition per person per composition category. Limit one prize per person per category and/or email address.
2. CONTEST SCHEDULE.
To participate in this Contest, submit a COMPOSITION between 8:00 AM MST on February 1, 2024 and 11:59 PM MST on June16, 2024 (“Contest Entry Period”).
3. HOW TO SUBMIT A COMPOSITION ENTRY.
Submit a PDF or JPG of your COMPOSITION, through the submission link or to the email address indicated in each composition category’s guidelines. Review these Official Rules. By submitting your entry, you acknowledge that you accept the Official Rules of the ROCKY MOUNTAIN CHAMBER CHOIR CALL FOR SCORES 2024. Entries that do not include all required information and do not adhere to these Official Rules will not be accepted. The Sponsor and its agencies are not responsible for misdirected or garbled entries or posting problems of any kind. Entries will not be returned.
4. SUBMISSION FORMAT AND CONTENT REQUIREMENTS.
a. Each composition must be available in a format that is easily viewable. To ensure this, it is required that the entry be submitted as either a standard PDF or high-resolution JPG file. It is preferred that music scores are typeset using a music software program such as Finale, Dorico or Sibelius.
b. The composition must be an original melody or new arrangement of a public domain song. Arrangements of music that are not in the public domain must be accompanied by a document indicating permission to arrange and distribute the song.
c. All composition entries must be suitable for performance and recording (i.e., may not be obscene or indecent, including but not limited to profanity); it must not contain defamatory statements (including but not limited to words or metaphors that are widely considered offensive to individuals of a certain race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or socioeconomic group), it must not include threats to any person, place, business, group or world peace, it must not invade privacy or other rights of any person, firm or entity, and it must not in any other way violate applicable laws and regulations or network standards. RMCC reserves the right to deny any entry.
g. Any and all elements appearing in your composition must be entirely original and created by you. The composition must not contain any copyrighted works (including music or text) without permission other than as owned and created by you or provided by the Sponsor. IF YOU USE CONTENT THAT YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO USE, YOU WILL NOT BE ENTITLED TO ENTER THIS CONTEST AND YOUR ENTRY WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.
5. YOUR REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES.
By entering the contest and uploading your composition, you: a) WARRANT AND REPRESENT THAT YOU OWN ALL RIGHTS TO THE COMPOSITION YOU ARE ENTERING; b) WARRANT AND REPRESENT THAT YOU GRANT TO THE SPONSOR ALL OF THE RIGHTS OWING TO THE SPONSOR UNDER THIS AGREEMENT AND CAN MAKE WRITTEN COPIES OF SUCH PERMISSIONS AVAILABLE TO THE SPONSOR UPON REQUEST; c) WARRANT AND REPRESENT THAT YOUR COMPOSITION (a) IS ORIGINAL TO YOU AND HAS BEEN LEGALLY CREATED, (b) DOES NOT INFRINGE THE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, PRIVACY OR PUBLICITY RIGHTS OR ANY OTHER LEGAL OR MORAL RIGHTS OF ANY THIRD PARTY, OR VIOLATE APPLICABLE LAWS OR REGULATIONS; d) irrevocably grant to the Sponsor and its affiliates, legal representatives, assigns, agents and licensees, the unconditional and perpetual license, right and permission to reproduce, copy, transmit, publicly perform, distribute, adapt and/or otherwise use or reuse (without limitation as to when or to the number of times used), your name, address (city and state only), image, likeness and musical work, in any media now known or hereafter devised throughout the world for any purpose, without limitation, and without additional review, compensation, or approval from you or any other party. e. forever waive any rights of privacy, intellectual property rights, and any other legal or moral rights that may preclude the Sponsor’s use of your composition, and agrees to never sue or assert any claim against the Sponsor’s use of the composition; f) agree to indemnify and hold the Sponsor and its respective affiliates, officers, directors, agents, co-branders or other partners, and any of their employees (collectively, the "Indemnitees"), harmless from any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs (including reasonable attorneys' fees) and liabilities (including settlements), brought or asserted by any third party against any of the Indemnitees due to or arising out of your composition or your contest entry, or your conduct during and in connection with this Contest, including but not limited to trademark, copyright, or other intellectual property rights, right of publicity, right of privacy or defamation. g. agree to release and indemnify and hold harmless the Indemnitees from any and all claims that any commercial, advertising, presentation, web content or any other material subsequently produced, presented, and/or prepared by or on behalf of the Sponsor infringes on the rights of your work as contained in the musical work.
6. JUDGING REQUIREMENTS/SELECTION OF WINNERS.
a. After the submission deadline has passed, the Sponsor will evaluate the compositions to select one (1) winner in each of the categories. The winner will be selected by a panel of judges consisting of RMCC Members. Selection criteria will include: artistic merit, singability, and overall quality. b. The winning compositions will be recorded by RMCC Members. c. All entrants are subject to verification by the Sponsor, and must meet all eligibility requirements before an entrant may be confirmed as a winner. The Sponsor has the sole right to decide all matters and disputes arising from this Contest and all decisions of the Sponsor are final and binding.
a1. The first-place winner of the Rocky Mountain Chamber Choir Call for Scores 2024 will receive a recording of their piece via email in the format of .mp3 and .wav valued up to $1000 in demo recordings. The winner may also be featured on the RMCC YouTube channel.
8. AWARDING OF PRIZE.
The winner(s) will be notified on and publicly announced on or around July 31 2024. The winner will be contacted by e-mail based on the contact information provided in the submission email. The winner must execute an Affidavit of Eligibility and Publicity/Liability release within 5 days of attempted notification or prize may be forfeited. If a potential winner cannot be contacted, fails to sign and return the affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release within the required time period, or if the prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, potential winner forfeits prize.
11. THE RECORDING.
The RMCC demo recordings are final and cannot be reasonably expected to change anything the composer failed to mention in correspondence or on the score. The recording is not open to feedback and edits. Any errors in the recording will be fixed by RMCC.
10. GENERAL RULES. By entering this Contest, winner agrees to be bound by these Official Rules and by the decisions of the Sponsor, which decisions are final with respect to all matters relating to the Contest, including without limitation, eligibility and /or disqualification of entries. The Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may disqualify any entrant who is found to have tampered in any way with the operation of the Contest or otherwise not complied with its rules. Before awarding of prize, selected winner will be required to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release in which winner agrees, among other things, to hold harmless and indemnify the Sponsor, its member institutions, and each of their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, governors, employees, advertising and promotions agencies, and agents (collectively the “Released Parties”) against any and all liability, damages or causes of action (however caused, named or described) with respect to or arising out of either: (i) entrant's participation in the Contest, or (ii) the receipt or use of the prizes awarded herein. By entering this Contest, each entrant consents to the use of his/her name, image, videograph, voice, and city/state of residence for any and all publicity and advertising purposes, commercial or otherwise, in any and all media by the Sponsor or its promotional partners. Each entrant hereby releases, waives and discharges any and all claims of damages or causes of action, including but not limited to, death, personal injury or loss or damage to property, which the entrant or any of the entrant's representatives, heirs, next of kin or assignees ("Entrant's Representatives") may have or which may hereinafter accrue to the entrant or Entrant's Representatives as a result of the entrant's participation in the Contest or the receipt or use of the prize awarded therein and which may be asserted by the entrant or Entrant's Representatives against the Released Parties. This Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and municipal laws and regulations. In the event the Sponsor is prevented from continuing or completing this Contest, or the integrity and/or feasibility of the Contest is undermined by any event or cause not reasonably within the Sponsor’s control, including but not limited to electronic disruption, virus, bugs, tampering, printing or production errors, or other causes beyond the Sponsor’s control that disrupt the administration, security or proper play of this Contest (“Force Majeure Event”), the Sponsor shall have the right, in its sole discretion, to abbreviate, modify, suspend, cancel or terminate the Contest without further obligation. If the Sponsor, in its discretion, elects to abbreviate the Contest, the Sponsor reserves the right, but not the obligation, to award the prize from among all valid and eligible entries received up to the time of such Force Majeure Event. Further, the Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual deemed to be (a) tampering or attempting to tamper with the submission process or the operation of the Contest; or (b) violating these Contest rules. This Contest is offered only in the United States and is governed by the laws of the state of Indiana. All claims relating in any manner to this Contest or to any video entry must be resolved in the federal or state courts located in Utah.
12. WINNER’S LIST/RULES REQUEST. A Winner’s List and the Official Rules of this Contest may be posted online indefinitely.